If you’re a Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza fan and want to recreate that deliciousness in the comfort of your own kitchen, you’re in the right place. Here, in detail, is how to recreate the Mexican pizza served at Taco Bell at home. Prepare to have your hunger satiated and your taste senses blown away by this delicious dish.
A Brief History
Understanding the roots of Mexican Pizza can enhance your appreciation for this delectable creation. We’ll uncover its origin, evolution, and its enduring popularity in fast-food culture.
1 The Birth of Mexican Pizza
Taco Bell introduced Mexican Pizza in the 1980s as part of their innovative menu. It quickly became a fan favorite, known for its distinctive shape and irresistible combination of Mexican-inspired flavors.
2 Evolution of the Recipe
Over the years, the Mexican Pizza has seen various iterations and adaptations. We’ll explore how these changes have influenced the dish’s flavor profile.
Why Make It at Home?
Making a Mexican Pizza at home allows you to customize the ingredients and create a fresh, homemade version of this iconic fast-food item. You can control the quality of ingredients, adjust the spiciness to your liking, and even make it vegetarian or vegan if you prefer. Plus, it’s a fun and satisfying cooking project that the whole family can enjoy.
For the Pizza Shells:
- 8 small flour tortillas (about 6 inches in diameter)
- Cooking spray or vegetable oil
For the Meat Filling:
- 1 pound of ground beef (or turkey, chicken, or a vegetarian substitute)
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
For the Refried Beans:
- 1 can (16 oz) refried beans
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (optional)
- Sour cream (optional for serving)
- Large skillet or frying pan
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Chef’s knife and cutting board
- Paper towels
Making the Pizza Shells:
- Bring the oven up to temperature, preferably at 375°F (190°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly spray or brush a baking pan with vegetable oil, then arrange four tortillas on it.
- Top each of these 4 tortillas with another tortilla, creating 4 double-layered tortilla “shells.”
- Bake the tortillas in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes to make them crispy and golden. Put in a separate bowl and put the oven off.
Preparing the Meat Filling:
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat, breaking it up into crumbles as it cooks until it is no longer pink.
- Drain any excess grease from the pan.
- Mix the taco seasoning packet with the water and add it to the steak. To blend, stir vigorously.
- Simmer the mixture for 5-7 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the beef is coated with the seasoning. Set aside.
Making the Refried Beans:
- Combine the refried beans, water, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a saucepan.
- Heat the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring regularly, until it’s heated through and has a smooth consistency. Keep it warm on low heat, stirring occasionally.
Preparing the Sauce:
- In a small pot, combine the tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, chili paste, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything together and reheat the sauce over low heat, whisking constantly. Leave aside.
- Cut the Roma tomatoes into small cubes.
- Slice the black olives, and if desired, chop the green onions. Set these toppings aside as well.
Now that you’ve prepared all the components, it’s time to assemble your Mexican Pizza.
- Please spread a generous layer of the seasoned refried beans evenly over one of the crispy tortilla shells.
- Add a portion of the cooked meat filling on top of the beans.
- Place another crispy tortilla shell on top of the meat.
- Spoon some of the prepared sauce over the top tortilla and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle a mixture of shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese on top of the sauce.
- Add diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, and green onions (if using) as your desired toppings.
Repeat these steps for the remaining tortilla shells to create more Mexican Pizzas.
- Make sure your oven is preheated to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the assembled Mexican Pizzas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pizzas should be baked fully, and the cheese should be melted in around 10 to 12 minutes in a preheated oven.
Serving and Presentation
Once your Mexican Pizzas are out of the oven, it’s time to enjoy your homemade Taco Bell-inspired treat.
- Carefully transfer each pizza to a plate using a spatula.
- Adding sour cream as a garnish is optional.
- Serve hot and enjoy the nostalgic taste of Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza right at home!
Enjoy Your Homemade Mexican Pizza!
Now that your homemade Taco Bell Mexican Pizza is ready, it’s time to dig in and enjoy the deliciousness you’ve just created. Serve it hot and savor the combination of flavors and textures that make this dish a true crowd-pleaser.
Making Taco Bell Mexican Pizza at home is a fun and rewarding experience. With fresh ingredients and a little effort, you can recreate the taste of your favorite fast-food item right in your kitchen. So, invite your friends and family over for a Mexican pizza night and relish the satisfaction of crafting a classic dish from scratch.
Now that you have the recipe for Taco Bell Mexican Pizza, it’s time to head to your kitchen and start cooking. For a truly unique dining experience, feel free to add whatever toppings you like to your fresh Mexican pizza.